Sunday, February 4, 2018

Feedback Strategies

For this week's feedback reading, I read Presence not Praise and Feedforward Instead of Feedback. I liked both articles, but neither article was what I was looking for. My problem I think is that usually, when I give people feedback, I'm too critical. I felt like I could point out what a problem was, and why it was a problem, but I could never find the nicest way to do it. One problem is that I'm just an incredibly critical person; I could go on for hours about all the flaws in my favorite movies, why they are flaws, and how I would fix them. The feedforward article was interesting to me because there is no targeting of work. Instead of pointing to something someone wrote and saying "here is why that's bad," you just mention ways to improve. The problem, though, is that the feedforward experiment they performed required people to know what they want to improve. Although I know some of my personality flaws, when it comes to writing, I have no idea what I need to improve, and I imagine many people are similar! I personally need that critical feedback to make me realize what I'm doing wrong and to hopefully keep me from doing the same thing in the future. Additionally, (I'm about to be critical of an article about being critical) I though the Presence not Praise article built up to a well put thesis and then failed to really explain it. The article builds up to why we shouldn't praise children but fails to even mention the presence aspect until the last paragraph! Anyhow, after feeling subpar about those articles, I went back and read over Constructive Feedback. I thought that seemed much more useful, and I wish it would have expanded a little more than an infographic can.




Image Info
(Instant Feedback Formula - Ready To Manage)

No comments:

Post a Comment