Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Reading Notes: Narayan's The Ramayana part C

These notes come from R. K. Narayan's The Ramayana, of which I have acquired a physical copy 

For this week, I want to write about Vali. I thought the description of him and his strength was fascinating, and really captured the scope of an epic. Vali has lived since before the gods were immortal. When the gods wanted immortality, they tried to crush and churn the ocean to make a nectar which would give immortality. All the gods together could not do it, so Vali literally pushed them aside and singlehandedly churned the ocean. As if he wasn't strong enough, his gift was unlimited strength, and as if THAT wasn't enough, anyone who faces him is also reduced to half of their strength. Vali has casually pushed Ravana out of his way. Some other descriptions -

"He has more energy than the 5 elements and could with one stride cross 7 oceans"
"When he strode across the earth, the mountains shook, and storm clouds broke apart, for they were afraid to rain on him."
"Even Yama feared him."

The story I want to write about is the story of Vali in the netherworld. Vali was the king of Kiskinda when a demon named Mayavi appeared and challenged him. But Mayavi actually looked at Vali and immediately regretted his decision. He ran to the edge of the world and fled into a subterranean tunnel to the netherworld. There, Vali spent 28 months before returning successful. The only note on his time spent in the netherworld is that the wording says after emerging that he had "finally destroyed" the demon, implying that he spent most of the time fighting or looking for it. Also, just in case I need it, his brother's name is Sugreeva.

I was trying to find a picture that imbued just how strong Vali would look, when I stumbled upon this. It certainly isn't how I want to portray the only being stronger than all the gods combined, but I also couldn't pass up the opportunity to share that this brand exists.


Image Information
(Swole Monkey - trademarkia)

1 comment:

  1. I was going to start my comments on the content of your notes, but that picture/brand is quite something. I think Vali is a really good subject, and at this point, I have read your story about him. I think it might be interesting to have Vali not get killed by Rama in a story. After all, he is stronger than the gods, even if they do ambush him.

    ReplyDelete