Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Jatakas Reading Notes


To me, this story seems like a children’s story, like the turtle and the hare. I think rewriting this story from a more mature standpoint could be interesting, so my notes will reflect that.


I like this story because it feels like there is a cause and effect, but it needs to be built upon. The main character, the Brahmadatta, which is the Buddha born as an animal before his lifetime as the Buddha, is born as a monkey. His father wants to kill him because he kills all his sons so that they never usurp him. In the story, the father isn’t very well developed; he seems to try to sneakily kill his son (trying to hug him to death, trying to innocently send him to the Ogre’s pond.) However, the Brahmadatta knows his father wants to kill him, and the father has previously killed all his other sons, so I think the story could be improved if his father had a reason to try to stealthily kill his son. Additionally, I think a good villain deserves a good death. The father dies when he sees the ogre, and his heart explodes. This is very anticlimactic; it makes it such that the climax of the story is when the Brahmadatta is gathering the lotuses, not when he returns to confront his father. One thing that would make the endeavors of the Brahmadatta more interesting would be a better interaction with the ogre. The ogre praises him first for his wonderful cleverness, but then says his best three qualities are his Dexterity, Valor, and Resource. Additionally, the ogre goes from wanting to eat the monkey to respecting him so much as to serve him, which feels unbelievable. I think there are a few ways that this could be improved. One possibility is to remove the ogre from appearing: if avoiding the water would make the Brahmadatta safe, why would the ogre appear at all? Another solution would be for the monkey to confront the ogre in some way: either tricking him or perhaps making a deal with him. I think these changes could make the moral of the story clearer and perhaps make the story more interesting.

I also had issues imagining the ogre as a turtle, so I wanted to find a good image of a water ogre, and I found this image, which I will probably use for my writing

Image Information
(Water Ogre - pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment