Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, part B

These reading notes are taken from the first half of Sita Sings the Blues, a free movie available on Youtube.

In the second to last scene of Sita sings the blues, while Sita is living in the jungle with her children, Rama accidentally discovers the children. He immediately recognizes them as his own, and asks them to join him at the Palace. However, he still feels iffy about Sita. Rama is demanding that Sita again prove her purity when Sita, fed up with the doubt that has been put on her for years, says in front of Rama and her sons "I shall prove my purity to you." She then says loudly and openly, "If I have always been true to Rama, if I have never thought of another man, if I have been completely pure in body and soul, then may mother earth take me back into her womb." Meanwhile, storm clouds gather, and thunder cracks. As she finishes her statement, the ground splits open, and Bhumi herself emerges. Sita runs towards Bhumi, and Rama and his court run after her to stop her, but they can't catch her. Sita dives for Bhumi's womb, and time freezes, so that she may sing one last blues song on this earth before departing and returning to the realm of the gods forever.


Image Information
Goddess Earth Takes Sita - Wikimedia

1 comment:

  1. Nate, I think you did a great job summarazing the story here, in order to provide a quick overview for those who haven't seen the movie. From the reading, the story was familiar to me, but your retelling allowed me to see it in the way the movie depicted it, giving me a new mental image. I will have to see how this changes my potential stories moving forward.

    ReplyDelete